1847 Map of Town of Hendersonville
The City of Hendersonville announced its 175th birthday this year! On January 7, 1847, the General Assembly designated Hendersonville as an organized town. There was a great deal of controversy as to where the “county seat” was to be located after the county of Henderson was earlier formed in 1842. A county government was organized in February 1839, but controversies were raised over the selection of a county seat for 3 years which is the subject of another story-another day. When Judge Mitchell King (Charlestonian who spent his summers here) offered to donate 50 acres of his “Chinquapin Hill” property as a City Hall site then the location became more certain. John Johnson and Colonel James Brittain contributed an additional 29 acres thus establishing the 79-acre town site as official in 1841 although no deeds were recorded until 1846. The corporate limits were designated as extending 1/2 mile in each direction from the County Court House located approximately where the present old Courthouse sits between First and Second Avenue. (Later extended to one mile with Mud Creek as the fixed boundary on the South.) The first Town Hall (and Opera House) was completed in 1893 and stayed in use until 1925 when the structure was condemned, and a new city hall was built and dedicated on November 28,1928 where it presently stands. Cows and horses were free to graze along unpaved sidewalks and on the public square until 1900. What a young town we are! We will be showing a vintage 10 min film of Hendersonville as it appeared in 1925 so feel free to drop in and sip a brandy while viewing!
Appalachian Cocktail – C & K brandy, Mountain Dew
Old Fashioned – C & K brandy, muddled orange & cherries, spiced cherry bitters
Sugar snap pea – CB Frost, Cointreau, dry vermouth, pea puree, lime juice
Farmers’ Cocktail – Grappa, Aperol, muddled watermelon, tomato juice, lime juice
Sadie Patton – CB Frost, Coffee Brandy, Amaro, Dry Sherry, simple syrup
Cognac flight 1/2 price